Recipe - Curried Parsnip Soup

Well, it's been a nippy few days all right, and what better thing to warm the old cockles than a big pan of homemade soup.  I don't make this often enough, I've spent the last nearly two years on and off at Weight Watchers (and parsnips contain Propoints!) plus, they're not the cheapest of vegetables unless you manage to find them on offer somewhere, I was lucky to find them as part of Aldi's Super 6 so they were only 39p a bag.                       .                           

       

Ingredients
Parsnips - I had three 500g bags to use up     
4 Stock cubes - I used chicken, vegetable is also fine
Hot water
Bay leaves - I used 3
Sea salt and ground black pepper
Curry powder - I used Hot
Double cream - optional

Peel the parsnips and dice into small pieces.  Place in a large pan with the bay leaves, with enough hot water to cover them. Bring to the boil and add the stock cubes, stirring well to ensure they've dissolved.  Add the curry powder - I used 3 heaped teaspoons.

Simmer for 25 - 30 minutes or until the parsnips are soft.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.  Remove bay leaves and blend with a hand blender until thick.  If too thick, add a little hot water to the soup to thin it out.

I served mine with a swirl of double cream for a little treat, Dan decided against it.  We didn't have any crusty bread with this, as it is a very heavy soup so it wasn't needed, one bowl and I was stuffed.

Total cost of pan of soup, less than £1.50 and I'd estimate there's a good 6 large bowls in there.  You can't buy soup for that price! 

M x

Comments