Recipe - Chinese Chicken and Coleslaw wraps

I've been meandering around different new blogs this week, drooling over new recipes and I found one the other day that looked so good.  The chicken reminded me of pulled pork, just looked melt-in-the-mouth tender.  The recipe I saw linked back to the original post so I am going to post the links for you.  But my recipe isn't quite the same, more 'inspired by' the other two, in that I am making my own sauce (couldn't find either in the supermarket), and I am going to serve this on tortilla wraps and not baps.  OK - the only thing my recipe has in common is I shredded the bloody chicken.  Anyhoo.  As much as I love bread rolls, I could devour one in three bites (and that's if I'm on my best behaviour - two bites if nobody is watching or it's just Mr G).  I could probably polish off about 6 small bread rolls.  Tortilla wraps are the same amount of points, take longer to eat, I can shove more filling on them, so it's a no-brainer.  The original recipes I saw were here and here.  This is my take on it.



Ingredients:  Serves 2
420g chicken breasts

Sauce
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
2 tsp Dry Sherry
1 tbsp Caster sugar
3 tbsp Chicken stock
1 tbsp Minced ginger
2 tsp Minced garlic
2 tbsp Pure orange juice
1 tsp Chilli flakes
Sliced spring onions
2 tsp cornflour to thicken (optional - I didn't use it)

To serve
226g Reduced Calorie Coleslaw
4 Tortilla Wraps

I cooked the chicken breasts on the George and when they'd cooled slightly I shredded them with two forks.


I was quite surprised at the volume of chicken once it had been shredded.  Whether it's purely psychological, that you think you're eating more, but it took a lot longer to get through than if we'd just sliced through 1½ small chicken breasts and put them on a wrap.  Shredded chicken - it's the future.  I digress...

Put all the sauce ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil, making sure all the sugar has dissolved.


Put the chicken into a bowl or clean pan and pour over the sauce little by little, stirring to ensure all the meat is covered.  I had a little sauce left over in the pan.  I left the meat for about ten minutes so it would absorb the flavours.


Served with a salad (Mr G had rice as well), coleslaw and tortilla wraps, eSource pointed the meal at 22 Propoints per portion - 6 Propoints for the Chicken and sauce, 4 Propoints for the reduced calorie coleslaw, and 11 points for two Mission Deli wraps.  Which actually adds up to 21 Propoints.  There is a scientific reason for this, I can't be bothered looking into it ;-)


This tasted spicy, tangy, sweet and really went well on a tortilla with crunchy coleslaw slathered on top.  Looks a bit of a mess, was quite sloppy to eat (wear a bib and place a teatowel on your lap when eating.  And have baby wipes to hand for your chin) but this recipe is going straight in the 'Make Again (and sooner than 'in five years time')' pile.


Comments