Moving Day

The day was finally upon us, yesterday Dan moved into his room in Halls.  True to form, he only started showing an interest on Friday afternoon - Did I know where his is. Will I need y?  

Really ugly buildings on the outside

 
Dan collecting his key to his first 'pad'
 

Off to get part two from the car while I unpack... meh...


Ensuite bathroom #swish


Shared Kitchen


Last time he'll be sober for a long time...


Watching the hockey match outside the window

He was off out last night with the other new students, although he knows where he's going better than any peer guide could tell him!  Another lad in the room opposite came to introduce himself as we were leaving and by the time they went out last night, they'd all been acquainted, and went out together.  I am so jealous, I never thought I'd have a child in Uni before I went myself.  But the thing is, for me, it was always going to be about the entire experience, and not just the end result, the degree.  I wanted halls, living on a budget, drinking away my grant and then having to eat value foods, making new friends from all over the country.  After becoming a mum to Dan at 19, I was never going to be able to do it that way, and ending up as a mother of four, it was definitely not happening that way!  That's why I thought it would be a good idea for him to move out, albeit only three miles away, so he can experience it properly.  If it's not for him then he always has his room to come back to.  If he misses us (doubtful) he can always spend the night here.  If things are tough financially, I'll have his back and can get to him within ten minutes with food or money or whatever he needs.  I really don't know how I would have coped if he'd gone further afield.  Small mercies!

He wanted picking up today for Sunday lunch, apparently the lure of my roast pork dinner was too great to resist.  I was filled in on the shenanigans of the night before, it looks like one of his flatmates is a bit of a card, apparently he forgot to bring an iron and instead - filled a saucepan with boiling water - and used that to iron his shirt.  Top marks for innovation I guess?  I was also informed that I had set his alarm clock for 8 am.  Thinking ahead to the welcome meeting at 9 am on Monday morning, I hadn't factored in a lie in after a drunken night out this morning.  My bad.  It went off at the mains, apparently.  Bet he misses his meeting...

Comments